Welcome Guest Active Topics |
Craft Shops in North Wales Options
mamto9
#1 Posted : 13 August 2010 13:52:30

Hi, going on holiday next Friday to North Wales and was wondering if there is any good craft shop that i could visit while there
love Paula x
mamto9
pigginann
#2 Posted : 13 August 2010 14:13:40

Hi
I am going to Towyn for a week on Sunday 15/08/2010 would also love to know if any good craft shops in the area

Regards
Ann

pigginann
CaroleE
#3 Posted : 13 August 2010 14:16:53

There are two in the main shopping street in Llandudno (next to each other) and there is a small but well stocked one at the rear of the multi storey car park also.  Don't know where you are going but there is also a large one called Abakan at Mostyn which does all sorts of crafts.  Other people will probably be able to tell you of more.  Enjoy your holiday.

Carole
CarolE
ChrisAndCat
#4 Posted : 13 August 2010 14:29:24

You'll be close to me when you visit - where are you staying? There a couple: Doodleso in Prestatyn, over the railway bridge at the bottom of the hill. Its a prettily set out shop, lots of lovely papers, equipment, ribbon, etc, the lady there also does classes on Saturday I think it is, she is lovely. Then there is Abakhan in Mostyn on the coast road heading back towards Chester direction. Probably about 15 mins travel or so. They are docrafts stockists and also a fabric/knitting shop - the ribbons on the top floor are irresistible, although access is by stair, not a lift. In Llandudno, probably about 20-25 mins the other way from Prestatyn, heading towards Anglesey is Craftland. They are the pile it high sell it cheap type of shop, but there are card and paper bargains to be had, he also has stamps, peel offs, ribbon, tools, pens, but be aware there is no technical help like Doodleso, also things are stacked up so check as some stuff can get bent. I got some lovely paper for inserts here that looks like washed silk. He has just started to accept card payments so you dont have to get cash beforehand. The shop is super-crowded though and tight on space between aisles so be aware access may not be great for disabled people.
Also you have Papermill on Cheshire Oaks retail outlet in ellesmere port - easy to get to, about 45 mins from rhyl along the A55, past Queensferry and the turning just before the Cheshire Oaks turn has Sycamore Park garden centre (signposted) which has creative pastimes, lots of copics and promarkers, some spellbinders, stamps, embellishments, etc.  There is also a shop in Daleside (i think) garden centre in Hawarden (pronounced harden) which is just before Chester. 

Pigginann, you are literally 3-5 mins away from where I work, in Towyn, we supply a holiday park there so you may see our van!
ChrisAndCat
mamto9
#5 Posted : 13 August 2010 14:34:17

hi, i'm going to Ruthin, but intend to have a good look around, we've got 2 weeks
love Paula x
mamto9
ChrisAndCat
#6 Posted : 13 August 2010 14:57:28

You're not too far from us - in fact i'm in Ruthin tonight with OH tonight pressure testing a load of pipes at a pool thats being built at the mo!
ChrisAndCat
cariad
#7 Posted : 13 August 2010 17:13:50

Popped into Abakhan in Mostyn the other day on the way back from Talacre...looking at caravans.All I could see was loads and loads of material and wool lol!!Never saw an upstairsLooks like I will have to make another trip
Lynne

Whoever said you can't buy happiness...forgot about Labradors
Mojo1
#8 Posted : 13 August 2010 17:22:23

Hi Paula,
I have sent you a pm.
Maureen........x

Shouldknowbetter
#9 Posted : 13 August 2010 17:24:33

If you go to on a day trip to Anglesey (which I can recommend,) there's a craft shop inside Holland Arms Garden Centre near Newborough and a little, but good craft shop in Llangeffni (Market town in the centre of the Island - Market day Thurs) which stocks all Docrafts stuff. Happy Holidays, hope weather is kind.
Jane

Keep your face towards the Sun and the shadows will fall behind you

cariad
#10 Posted : 13 August 2010 17:41:15

The little craft shop inside the Holland Arms sells docraft stuff and some Clarity stamps and a few bits and bobs...it's actually in Gaerwen.The shop in Llangefni is quite small too.
Lynne

smokiesmum
#11 Posted : 13 August 2010 18:44:25

Hi Paula just thinking if you want a day out and you like Rosemary Merry  theres Crab Apple crafts in the Lady Hayes Craft Centre just outside Frodsham there are quite a few craft and antique shops there

Maryxxx
smokiesmum
ChrisAndCat
#12 Posted : 13 August 2010 18:47:11

I keep forgetting about the Holland Arms craft shop - not too cheap (Martha Stewart PATP are £25) but loads in there - you'd think i'd remember seeing as we sold pool stuff to holland arms for years!

Cariad, the upstairs (ribbon and braid and whatnot) is in the first building on the left in Abakhan as you come in through the gate, the one that runs alongside the road. Craft is the one right at the very back in front of the railway line, the log cabin.
ChrisAndCat
Sarah1972
#13 Posted : 13 August 2010 18:48:15

OMG couldn't believe it when I saw this post as I am also going on holiday to North Wales tomorrow.  Will look out for the craft shops mentioned.  Sarahxx
pigginann
#14 Posted : 14 August 2010 07:14:59

Hi
Thank you all for the info, speak soon

pigginann
cariad
#15 Posted : 14 August 2010 12:02:42

ChrisAndCat wrote:
I keep forgetting about the Holland Arms craft shop - not too cheap (Martha Stewart PATP are £25) but loads in there - you'd think i'd remember seeing as we sold pool stuff to holland arms for years!

Cariad, the upstairs (ribbon and braid and whatnot) is in the first building on the left in Abakhan as you come in through the gate, the one that runs alongside the road. Craft is the one right at the very back in front of the railway line, the log cabin.

Just come back from there ChrisAndCat...didnt find anything in the Craft place again this time... but did find the stairs this morning.Got some bits and bobs there...great selection of ribbons
Lynne

ChrisAndCat
#16 Posted : 15 August 2010 00:30:01

I dont need more ribbon really but can't resist - apart from last week they charged me for 2 lots of braid - which was right as i wanted some of each colour, but even though i was charged for both she'd only put one in and left the other out; also asked for 2m blue and 2m pink, charged like that on receipt but when i opened bag at home, she had cut 2 seperate 2m lengths of pink! argh - if i'd wanted 4m of pink it'd have been in one piece!
ChrisAndCat
tali1981
#17 Posted : 15 August 2010 11:09:38

mamto9 wrote:
hi, i'm going to Ruthin, but intend to have a good look around, we've got 2 weeks
love Paula x

If you're taking a trip to Llangollen at all, there is Crafter's Cove which is a DoCrafts stockist.

Not far from Llangollen is Chirk, home of The Craft Bug (Sizzix stockist).  Unfortunately our other craft shop Polka Dot Crafts has closed down now (it was owned by 2 friends of mine and was FAB - not that I'm biased!)

If you are travelling along the A483 in the Wrexham area at all, there is a craft shop at The Plassey (can't remember the name of the shop but The Plassey is signposted off the main road as it's a caravan site and craft village type place).

If you go to Chester you will find it very disapointing for crafting.  The only shop I know of is Hobbycraft on the Sealand Industrial Estate.  As someone else has already mentioned there is a Paper Mill Shop at Cheshire Oaks - lots of paper and card from A5 up to A3 and also some A2 I think! - not as good as it used to be unfortunately but worth a look.

Lady Hayes at Frodsham is also lovely as someone mentioned earlier.

Hope some of these are of use to you!
LauraRowlands
cariad
#18 Posted : 15 August 2010 13:02:48

Didnt know there was a Hobbycraft on Sealand ...The Deeside Industrial estate in Flint.The only one I know of is on the Greyhound Retail Park ...Chester.
Lynne

ChrisAndCat
#19 Posted : 15 August 2010 20:01:27

I think its Sealand Road in Chester thats meant, Cariad, its the road leading to the big estate with Halfords and whatnot on.
ChrisAndCat
fifib
#20 Posted : 15 August 2010 22:06:40

Just to add there is Andy crafts in Chester market but very small and cramped but lots of things and if you go to Mold there is a little shop called crafty Sues.

Fiona x
fionab