Welcome Guest Active Topics |
stephanie weightman's tattered lace dies Options
matronjanet
#1 Posted : 31 March 2013 15:28:00

i bought one of these yesterday as they look so pretty and delicate.  i bought the oval frame die and tried it out for the first time yesterday evening.
i am very disappointed as firstly it doesn't cut well.  there is one side of the oval frame that will not give a clean cut for about 3cm of the oval.  as it is a delicate design you have to be very gentle with it, but after changing the posittion on the plate and putting it through 5 times it still didn't cut.  i then tried a shim of 250gsm card, which is as thick as i dared put through without risking breaking my machine.  this made it possible to get the oval frame out from the rest of the die but it had barely cut and left frayed edges of the lightweight card i had cut.
i'm not sure how to use the rest of the die either, after the oval frame has been removed.  it is obviously intended for the remainder of the die to be used but it isn't obvious to me what to do with it.
as these dies are not cheap i thought i'd let people know of my experience before they spend the £24.99 that i paid out.

janet
matronjanet
matronjanet
#2 Posted : 31 March 2013 15:52:39

i've just watched a demo on you tube where steph demonstrated with a similarly delicate die and she had to put it through her big shot 8 times and used a metal shim.  i think that this is excessive and dies shouldn't need this amount of work to get them to cut as they are intended.
i used my joy trouvaille but i may have to go back to my big shot as it is more robust and i can use a slightly thicker shim.  at least if i can get it to cut properly that way i will not have completely wasted my money!
i'll update when i have had more time to experiment.

janet
matronjanet
SandiMac
#3 Posted : 31 March 2013 16:36:53

Sorry your having problems hun got it through my ebosser no probs first time with a layer of wax paper as well I find that really helps fiddly dies but I doubt I will be buying anymore of them, just got this one to test them out.
Sandi x 

My Blog 

My Facebook Page, would love some new likers!

Organiser of Monthly Friendship Card Swap all welcome to join in, add your name thread posted last friday of every month.
matronjanet
#4 Posted : 31 March 2013 17:27:32

i've just tried with my big shot and with 8 passes in different positions on the plates and a thin shim i got a passable cut. 
the problem now is that the card lifts out of the die on each pass and doesn't go back in exactly the same position so there are several double cuts which have to be taken off (with tweezers as they are so fine) before it can be used.
such a pity as i don't see myself using it often because of the problems and i could have spent my money on other things. 
i think that for the price these dies should cut much better than they do and i cannot recommend them.

janet
matronjanet
IslasGranma
#5 Posted : 31 March 2013 17:39:27

Just had a play with mine and got some lovely results with my GC, I needed to put a card shim in as well and the square die was the hardest to do needed to turn it a few times but used mirror card and they look very nice.......my floor is covered in little dots and cut out bits though lol x
bexindevon
#6 Posted : 31 March 2013 21:36:05

When I watched the launch on C&C, the lady with Steph (I can't remember her name!) said that the dies and the Ebosser were made for each other! And then had to back track to say that they worked with others too!!

Bex  

cardsbyrjr.blogspot.com 

StickerKitten
#7 Posted : 04 April 2013 23:17:13

I got the lantern dies and use them in the big shot with thin cardstock and a magnetic shim that came with my xcut die - it works perfectly and the designs just fall out! I don't even have to poke out the bits all that much x
k1mmyl
#8 Posted : 08 April 2013 13:56:27

Hi ive got up to now, only the heart with celebrate entwined. Ive cut on my GC, only one time needed, then last week got my Ebosser, same. And so easy to get out to, im loving them

kim x
k1mmyl
Bridie77
#9 Posted : 02 May 2013 20:16:52

I have just posted this on card making. I had the same problem with the tattered lace dies they wouldn't cut no matter what I tried, fortunately Stephanie Weightman was doing a demonstration at our local Hobbycraft I told her the problems I had and she suggested I use a magnetic plate with the dies on the G.C. and tried them for me, they worked a treat and I'm enjoying using them, hope this is of some help.
Bridie

" A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words" 

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is at home. 

HilaryWilson4
#10 Posted : 24 May 2013 14:14:40

I looked at these dies until I read the packet about what to do if the die doesn't cut, and when I read all the different things that you had to try I left them well alone and stick to  all the other brands.
Good luck trying.
Hilary
HilaryWilson4
nufcgirl67
#11 Posted : 24 May 2013 19:32:36

hi i just joined today and  i brought a tattered lace product and im not really happy with it, i have a GC but not matter how many times i put it through it just wont cut the pattern. My GC is only 2 weeks old so i know its not old as it works perfectly with the normal die cuts i have and use. its just the tattered lace that is the problem.

Any other suggestions as to how to get it to work correctly  
Trenouth
#12 Posted : 25 May 2013 19:59:58

nufcgirl67 wrote:
hi i just joined today and  i brought a tattered lace product and im not really happy with it, i have a GC but not matter how many times i put it through it just wont cut the pattern. My GC is only 2 weeks old so i know its not old as it works perfectly with the normal die cuts i have and use. its just the tattered lace that is the problem.

Any other suggestions as to how to get it to work correctly  

Nope ive given up trying!!  Stephanie recommends their magnetic placement mat to help with the cutting but not even using that made a difference, even after 8 times thru the machine I had to cut the rest by hand!  Oh and welcome to the forum. 
Emma           
tracyandgirls
#13 Posted : 09 February 2014 10:21:31

i have a cuttlebug and after many attempts of not getting good cuts i went on a few forums, spoke to a lady in a craft shop, put various bits of ideas together  and getting a good cut now. im happy 

KFraser
#14 Posted : 11 February 2014 17:04:16

matronjanet wrote:
i bought one of these yesterday as they look so pretty and delicate.  i bought the oval frame die and tried it out for the first time yesterday evening.
i am very disappointed as firstly it doesn't cut well......  as these dies are not cheap i thought i'd let people know of my experience before they spend the £24.99 that i paid out.

janet
Definitely take it/send it back and either get a replacement or a refund.
HilaryWilson4 wrote:
when I read all the different things that you had to try I left them well alone and stick to all the other brands.
Good luck trying.
Hilary
Same here Hilary I've heard too many people having problems getting the Tattered Lace dies to cut properly

How old would you be, if you didn't know how old  you are

reta
#15 Posted : 12 March 2014 12:22:06

I had problems with the chantily bow it wouldn't cut and I have a BS I do this sandwich big platform with number 2 tab,cutting plate,paper wax paper then die facing cut side down then your top plate this works if you run it through about 4 times.
reta
ellasnan
#16 Posted : 15 March 2014 10:48:02

My sister bought a bundle of these dies from C&C. We spent several hours trying to cut them using my bigshot and xcut and her GC. Absolutely useless. We tried wax paper, tissue paper, talc etc. I will not be buying any.
PinkLeprechaun
#17 Posted : 30 May 2014 22:15:44

I'm new to die cutting and have a cuttlebug machine. I have just bought some of these tattered lace dies and am really disappointed as they don't cut through very well even after several passes through the machine. I'm not very impressed at all, you'd think you would get a better cut for the price, and being a die cutting newbie it doesn't inspire you to try any other brands.....any advice or help would be much appreciated Tracey x
PinkLeprechaun