Welcome Guest Active Topics |
Grand Calibur warning! Options
Binerds
#1 Posted : 13 January 2011 20:33:18

Hi everyone, Just wanted to share a couple of things with you so anyone buying the Spellbinders Grand Calibur doesn't make the same mistakes!! I love the machine so I'm not saying don't get it - I was probably being daft but just in case it helps..:

The first thing I did after just 1 week was I cracked my cutting plate as tried to force a sizzlits die through. The reason I did this was because in all the ads it said you could cut other dies so I tried a thin sizzlit and when it seemed tough to go through I thought well it should go though and turned the handle more which snapped the plate.

I contacted the shop I bought it from who didn't get back to me so I emailed spellbinders. They sell a pack of 2 plates (the white cutting plate and the grey base plate) for $25 (about £19 i think) but they don't sell it yet to stockists and the postage cost is about another $25 making them too expensive for me! Luckily as the plate is only cracked it still works but bear in mind you can't get spares just yet in the UK

To emboss these other dies AND embossing folders, you need a W-025 plate which was originally made for the wizard and it thinner than the calibur one - otherwise you cannot cut any other dies except spellbinders. They are about £5 but they are quite small so you don't have the full 81/2" x 11" to work with

and finally.. I was trying to cut something and could quite get enough pressure so decided to add the embossing mat, got distracted and started to put it through then realised the mat was on the top and not under the plate, so the embossing mat got caught in the rollers. When I realised and tried to roll back, it went back up the other way! Finally after much rolling back and forth and pulling, I got the mat free but it has left it a little stretched in places!!

Luckily the machine is fine and I am still happy with it - just got to stop being so dumb, but hopefully this might just warn anyone else who is as fuzzy upstairs as me!

Lindsay

Lindsay Tindal - Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
www.justcantstampenough.co.uk
www.facebook.com/justcantstampenough 
tel: 07908 848 664 
LizH
#2 Posted : 14 January 2011 01:17:00

Blimey didn't have much luck did you lol. I read somewhere today that te Grand Calibur will not at the moment cut Mariannes (but it could have been Joys dies) but a plate is being brought out
Liz H x
dollyme
#3 Posted : 14 January 2011 05:20:28

I have the Calibur and I have used the marianne dies in it no problem but have not tried a Joy die in it.

Dollie
dollie
Binerds
#4 Posted : 14 January 2011 10:08:33

Hi Dollie, thanks for letting me know, I haven't got any of those but was looking to buy so now I know I can get some!!

Lindsay Tindal - Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
www.justcantstampenough.co.uk
www.facebook.com/justcantstampenough 
tel: 07908 848 664 
LizH
#5 Posted : 14 January 2011 11:33:10

Sorry I was mistaken its creative expression embossing folders as seen on Ikkiscuttlebugcupboard blog under new machines. When l wrote the above it was due to lack of sleep
Liz H x
hayleymomof3boys
#6 Posted : 14 January 2011 23:04:44

i was thinking to buy one of those michines im not so sure now?i did try it in the shop it seemed to be easy but im confused now?i dont wont to throw away £99 down the dran should i buy one or just the cuttle bug?not sure?
Romayne
#7 Posted : 15 January 2011 00:14:31

hayleymomof3boys wrote:
i was thinking to buy one of those michines im not so sure now?i did try it in the shop it seemed to be easy but im confused now?i dont wont to throw away £99 down the dran should i buy one or just the cuttle bug?not sure?

If you have a look at the sticky entitled die cutting machines you will find a wealth of information about each of the machines from people who own them. The Grand Calibur and Joy Trouvaille are new machines specifically designed to cut and emboss A4 sized sheets of paper/card and are not neccessary unless you plan to use the extra large dies available. As they don't take the thicker dies you would still need one of the other machines as well so you really need to decide what you want from the machine and see which one best suits your needs. In a nutshell the Big Shot and the Cuttlebug both take all commercially available dies and embossing folders (except XL dies) The bigshot is a bigger machine and more robust, the Cuttlebug platform folds up for storage making it a more compact machine, important if you are short on space.

The sticky thread also covers electronic cutting machines if your budget allows for that kind of initial expense. See Sue (playingwithpaper) post as she gives a detailed overview of Cricuts.

Romayne xx 
playingwithpaper
#8 Posted : 15 January 2011 09:00:28

You need the thin adapter plate designed for the original wizard and a different sandwich to the one in the book if you want to do creative expressions folders.

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that the plates were US paper size not a4.  A4 will go through but there's a chance the edge of the paper could get a bit mashed.

I'll be honest I'm in 2 minds about the calibur.  Can see it being handy to shove several dies on the mat and bung them through the same time but I'm not impressed that it can't take the chunky dies.  Money wise if you arent that fussed about embossing nestie style dies it makes more sense to go for a cricut.  An expressions from ebay and scal software works out at about £300 and you'd be able to cut anything you can draw, snag or download and you'd never have to buy another cartridge or die.  Buy the calibur, the 2 sets of grand ovals and four normal oval nestie sets and you're already talking £230/250ish but can only cut one sort of shape.
Sueplayingwithpaper
snoflake
#9 Posted : 15 January 2011 18:36:28

Hi,
    I have the cuttlebug and got the Gran Calibour for Christmas. I have used my maranne dies in the Grand Callibour and they are fine. I only wanted the Grand callibour for the gand nestabilities, so I can have different shaped cards and easel cards. I must say i love it.

snoflake x
snoflake
mackintosh2272
#10 Posted : 14 August 2012 21:08:52

can anyone tell me the web address for spellbinders please as i have a broken cog and want to contact them to see if i can get another one  thanks @import url(http://www.docrafts.com/CuteSoft_Client/CuteEditor/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);
Romayne
#11 Posted : 14 August 2012 21:39:03

http://www.spellbinderspaperarts.com/Home.aspx If the machine is still under warranty you would need to contact the retailer though.
Romayne xx 
HelenWilshaw
#12 Posted : 29 December 2012 17:54:23

Have recently bought an A4 Grand Calibur because of the sheer big size dies that can be fed through it. I've used a Big Shot for the last 5 years and thought it was time to up-grade. The GC is as easy to use and i've found all my slim metal dies go through it...Marianne, Joy etc so I'm a little confused with the comments left about shims and special sandwiches, someone even said that Joy dies won't go through? As far as I can see the GC is a machine to let you put through the Grand Spellbinders dies and they work a treat, but don't be afraid to put your other slim metal ones through. What I don't like is the tan embossing mat...far too much static and the dies stick to it!! I used my small Big Shot embossing mat and it was just right so I will be getting a bigger rubber one, The tan one is made of Latex. Hope this helps anyone?
Helen
LindaF
#13 Posted : 29 December 2012 18:59:40

The original Grand Calibur had letter size plates and then they changed UK machines to A4.  You can buy the replacement plates and if you buy the complete set you get the new platform tray in with it to replace your old one, that marks the sides of the card.  I have done this with mine you can also get the plates in a half size 6" for using with the small dies and not having to turn the handle so much. 
LindaF
annieannie
#14 Posted : 30 December 2012 17:38:11

Hi there, get plate replacements etc from

http://www.iconuk.co.uk

they do all the spellbinders stuff as far as I can see and they are competitive in their prices.

Love and hugs

Annie xxx 
  We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.  ~Robert Fulghum
LindaF
#15 Posted : 30 December 2012 18:50:13

I bought mine from cardmakingneeds.co.uk and their cutting plate is only £8.80, they give a very good service and their prices are good.  Free p&p over £18 or under £18 £2.50.
LindaF
gordonf
#16 Posted : 26 January 2013 09:48:56

Please see my posting for the Latest Generation A4 Die Cutting System we are about to launch. Solves all of the issues you have as it uses only two plates for everything and has three times the pressure !

Gordon 
joskinner
#17 Posted : 22 March 2014 20:09:56

Oh dear, and I was just going to buy one, butvinhaveca lot of sizzlits dies which I thought would be easier to cut....
jo'skinner

'to have a friend, be a friend'

joskinner
#18 Posted : 22 March 2014 20:11:42

I have got a perfectly good big shot, both hand and electric which they dropped...
jo'skinner

'to have a friend, be a friend'