3D bee card
Posted by Jackie-J, 01 Feb, 2018
Create a buzz with your crafting, with this bee-utiful make! The clever fingerprint feature is sure to keep you (or your kids) busy, and leave you feeling a little nostalgic! Top it off with a secret pull-out honeycomb sentiment panel, to tell a special someone they’re just the bee’s knees.
1. Prep the structure of the bee hive, using the Deco Design box template from the decoupage pack. Cut off all the tabs on the template, other than the one on the long side. Trim the roof parts off, up to the score lines. Create your own new score lines, 2cm down from the top. Snip into each side, creating four new roof flaps, and crease so they fold outwards.
2. Cut 24 2 x 7cm panels from white cardstock, and punch a small circular bee hole in one, backing with black cardstock. Working on the reverse sides, attach two 3D foam pads to the bottom of each panel and layer them all up on the bee hive. Overlap each one by a few millimetres. Run a thin line of glue along the very top of each as you fix in place.
3. Use the Xcut Xtrim Lite to create a scalloped edge along one side of an A4 sheet of black cardstock, and trim into a 1cm strip. Cut into four 1 x 7cm panels, and snip another eight to 1 x 7cm that are completely straight. Layer these up on the roof sections, in the same way as the hive. Ensure that the scalloped edge is at the front.
4. Create the inside sections of the hive by trimming three white cardstock panels to 4 x 9cm. Score 1cm along each side edge, crease and then attach inside the hive with double-sided tape. Cut another panel and fix tightly behind the third one, creating a pocket for the sentiment to slip in and out of.
5. Make a handful of bees with your fingertips! Use the bee dinky die to cut a selection from vellum, gold paper and black cardstock. Fussy cut the wings off the black ones and adhere the bodies to the vellum and gold bees. Stamp fingerprints onto black cardstock with gold ink. Stick thin strips of black cardstock across them and glue to the bee die-cuts.
6. Trim a piece of Capsule Geometric or Forever Friends patterned vellum to 7 x 12cm, ensuring that it fits into the pocket. Fussy cut two semicircles of black cardstock and fix to the top of the panel. Die cut a sentiment and glue to the vellum, along with one of the bees.
7. Cut a selection of 5mm strips of acetate, in various lengths. Attach a bee to the end of each one, fixing a black body to the reverse for a neat finish. Stick the acetate strips to the inside of the hive and a few bees on the outside to finish.
Project and how-to instructions by Jackie Jasper. Project originally published in issue 84 of docrafts Creativity magazine.