DIY flip diary
Posted by TheDocraftsTeam, 05 Jan, 2017
There is something so satisfying about opening a brand new calendar at the beginning of January, and even more so when you've made it yourself! Create 12 months of possibility, and personalise with your own photos and the Xcut selfie die.
1. To create the flip book, start with a page from the Papermania Bare Basics 12 x 17cm Chipboard Album. Cut four 3cm strips of patterned paper from various collections that you’ll use throughout the diary. Start on the right-hand side and lay the first strip against the edge, marking where the hole will be. Use the screw hole punch to create a gap in the right position. Attach this piece to the cover with double-sided tape. Repeat the process for the remaining three strips.
2. Die cut a selfie frame and attach a panel of blue patterned paper to the reverse. Paint some large wooden numbers black and set aside to dry. Die cut ‘Months’, using the Xcut serif alpha mini dies, and glue them to the bottom of the frame. Fix the numbers to the centre of the frame and adhere the panel to the cover with 3D foam pads.
3. Die cut ‘Memories’ into a strip of kraft cardstock, using the mini sentiment that comes with the Polaroid die. Snip the end diagonally and attach a small panel of black cardstock to the underside. Adhere towards the bottom of the front cover, once again with 3D foam pads.
4. Use the Wedding Ever After 5 x 7" stamp set to print ‘O’ and ‘F’ letters with clear embossing ink. Heat emboss with copper powder. Trim the letters to small squares and ink the edges brown. Attach below the polaroid. Die cut a small squirrel from brown cardstock and stick just above the ‘Memories’ panel to finish.
How to make the diary stand
1. Trim a piece of kraft cardstock to measure 20 x 4cm. Score at 5cm and 15cm and stick the top 5cm to the bottom of the reverse of the front cover.
2. Cut a second strip to 10 x 2cm and stick horizontally below the holes (above the previous strip). Only adhere at the sides, so the first strip can slip through when shut.
3. Cut one more square to 6 x 5cm and stick the sides to the bottom of the reverse of the back cover, enabling you to slip the first strip through for the stand.
1. Cover a pre-cut 11.5 x 16.3cm page with white pearlised paper and punch two holes in the top for the ring binders to go through. Make a perforated cut line 2cm from the top, using the Xcut Xtrim Lite with the perforated blade attached. Round the bottom corners with a 5mm corner punch.
2. Layer a strip of Forever Friends Opulent patterned paper and another from patterned vellum towards the left-hand side, attaching two lengths of Create Christmas glittery craft tape on top.
3. Die cut ‘Lovely day’ into the bottom of a white die-cut frame (using the sentiment that comes with it) and glue a square of black cardstock behind, leaving the top unstuck to slip a photo inside. Attach with 3D foam pads.
4. Die cut five flowers from kraft cardstock and back with pink pearlised paper. Arrange around the page and position copper dome stickers in the centres.
Project and how-to instructions by Jackie Jasper. Project originally published in the October issue (75) of docrafts Creativity magazine.