Posted by TheDocraftsTeam, 18 Apr, 2017
If you're looking for a snazzy way to store your favourite memorabilia and trinkets, then why not create your own 12-month envelope stash? Complete with a co-ordinating box and different designs for each month of the year, remember the special year with your loved ones, and personalise to suit you and your memories!
1. Begin by die cutting 12 envelopes with the Xcut Extra Large Envelope Die. For each envelope, choose a colour for each of the three components (exterior, lining and plaque), and make sure these complement each other when all adhered together. Consider the month when deciding on colour choices for each envelope, and try using a range of collections to co-ordinate with the season.
2. We picked Festive Fauna and A Christmas Wish for winter months because of the colour palette and traditional themes. Using coloured vellum for summer will add a different quality to the textures and colours, and will make the envelopes stand out when they are lined up in the box.
3. You may ﬁnd that designs from each paper pack will complement months that you didn’t expect, such as Willson Wood paper working for the plaque in January.
4. Use double-sided tape to construct each of the envelopes – you could also use Anita’s Tacky Glue and a paintbrush if you prefer. (Use mini wooden pegs to hold the envelope ﬂaps in position while the glue dries). When assembling the vellum envelopes, we recommend using a small amount of glue and a cardstock for the lining – this will help to give the envelope structure.
5. When the time comes to decorate each envelope, vary the lettering that you use for each month. Experiment with different alphabet dies to represent different times of year. Why not try using various techniques for each month, such as adding glitter, heat embossing and die cutting? Mix up the materials you use for your lettering, as we have with Craft Planet Funky Foam and Bare Basics adhesive wooden letters. There are a whole host of dies and embellishments to chose from when it comes to decorating each of the envelopes… Like the cloud and rain-spotted window for the month of April. Once you’ve created all 12, pop in all your treasures and keep in a handmade box.
How to assemble the box
1. Transfer the template pieces on page 93 onto kraft cardstock. Score and fold the base and edges, and adhere the sides.
2. Cut Papermania Capsule Geometric Mono paper to the same size as the template and cover the outside of the box.
3. Trim a piece of gold mirror board to 6 x 2". Die cut '12 months of us' using a selection of Xcut alphabet dies. Fix to the box.
Project and how-to instructions by Lucy Scott. Project originally published in the December issue (77) of docrafts Creativity magazine.