New Horizons Handmade Card Tutorial
Posted by BeckyJ, 29 Jun, 2015
This project originally appeared in docrafts Creativity Magazine Issue 57. Make someone feel special and celebrate their new horizons as they embark on the next stage of their career. I just love the idea of a hot air balloon floating into the distance, off to explore new horizons. It is this image in my head that inspired me when creating this card to send a message to someone celebrating the excitement of a new job and all the new adventures that will arise. With Capsule Brights papers adding bright and bold accents, this design is suitable for anyone. A clever little way to include a gift as part of your greeting is an added extra on this contemporary little card.
1. Cut a 1O x 14.5cm striped Capsule Brights paper panel, round the two lower corners with a corner punch and blend chocolate ink around the edge of this and all the paper elements on the card.
2. Place a Bare Basics kraft paper bag in an Xcut Damask Pattern Embossing Folder and run through an A4 Xpress machine. Cut an inverted V in a 7 x 1Ocm rectangle of grey and white circle paper.
3. Place a small gift or voucher inside the embossed bag then follow the steps below to attach the gift bag to the card.
4. Attach a Chalk Craft sticker to the banner below the string bow. Die cut a small balloon in teal cardstock using the vintage hot air balloon Build-A-Scene dies and back with navy spotted paper. Use hot glue to add the balloon to the sticker to give curved dimension to the balloon.
5. Cut 1.5cm wide strips of primary colour patterned papers, cut Vs in both ends and layer below the pennant. Take care not to allow any glue to seep over the side of the gift bag, inadvertently sticking the bag to the card. It needs to be easily removed to fi nd the gift.
6. Add a Nature’s Gallery mini alphabet stickers greeting across the banner strips and finish with an inked sentiment embellished with bronze adhesive stones.
How to attach the gift bag...
1. Position the ribbon hole palm punch in the middle of the top of the card front and punch. Repeat for the striped paper panel, kraft bag and the banner, aligning the holes.
2. Adhere the striped paper to the card front and position the kraft bag and the banner over the card front, lining up the punched ribbon holes. Do not glue in place.
3. Pass three lengths of brown string through the ribbon holes and tie in a bow on the front to secure the embossed kraft bag and the banner in place.