Pop-up love card
Posted by TheDocraftsTeam, 16 Jun, 2017
Surprise someone special with an incredibly impressive and lovingly-crafted greeting. A hidden, dimensional message inside is a super-sweet treat that’s oh-so-easy to recreate!
1. Cover an 8 x 8" card blank with blue dashed Tales from Willson Wood paper. Adhere two ¾ x 8" strips of the darkest wood-effect sheet on the card, ¾" from the top and bottom edges. Layer an 8 x 5" piece of leaf-patterned paper on top of an 8 x 5½" sheet of mustard cardstock and stick to the card. Glue two 8 x 3½" panels of white cardstock together and ﬁx across the middle.
2. Die cut ‘I just wanted to say…’ from the same shade of wood-effect sheet, using the art deco alphabet dies. Place little scraps of the sheet over the extra letters required and die cut again. Stick the sentiment on the white cardstock.
3. Die cut two kraft cardstock tags, one with a pine cone die cut into the top, and a bird from the mustard cardstock. These dies are all from the Xcut woodland gift tags set. Mount the bird and the centre from the ‘O’ on one tag, and ﬁx a piece of wood-effect sheet behind the pine cone. Tuck both under the white cardstock.
4. Die cut a medium heart from kraft cardstock and one from a wood-effect sheet. Adhere together. Cut a tiny mustard heart and stick on top of the other. Position on the bottom edge of the white cardstock.
5. To make the inside, cut a 5½ x 12" piece of white cardstock. Turn it over to draw guidelines on the reverse. Pencil in the horizontal lines at 5¼", 6", 8¼" and 9" up from the bottom edge. Mark points along the lines; ½", 1", 1½", 2", 3¼", 4½" and 5" from the left. Click here for template.
6. Join the points to spell ‘U ♥ I’ (once turned over it will say ‘I ♥ U’). Position the largest mini heart die between the ‘U’ and ‘I’ with the point touching the centre fold (6") line. Run through a die-cutting machine and draw an outline around the heart-shaped hole.
7. Cut along the lines marked red with a craft knife. Make sure you don’t cut through the bottom and top of the U or I, or the joins between the heart and the letters.
8. Carefully crease along the fold lines, folding right sides together along the 5¼", 6" and 9" lines (blue lines) and wrong sides together along the 8¼" lines (red lines), as shown. Die cut six hearts from the cardstock and back with contrasting colours. Adhere to the inside of the card with double-sided tape.
Project and how-to instructions by Jo Boland. Project originally published in the February issue (79) of docrafts Creativity magazine.