Posted by TheDocraftsTeam, 07 Aug, 2017
Document a special time in your life with textured papers, rustic cork accents and glitzy details. Scrapbooks are a great way to look back and reflect on special experiences. Do so with this gorgeous layout using Festive Fauna papers and gold elements. Jo Boland used it to illustrate the first six months of her puppy Murphy's life… of course we had to get him to come in and model it!
1. Select a text-patterned paper from the Festive Fauna 12 x 12" paper pack and stick to a thicker piece of cardstock (or in a 12 x 12" scrapbook album) for support. Trim a 12 x 9" strip of Mr Smith’s Workshop wood-textured paper and adhere centrally across the background paper.
2. Select some photos to fit with your theme and size to 2.5" square. Giving these a small white border allows them stand out better against the woodgrain paper. Order them chronologically and mount the first and last on 3D foam tape to make a clear beginning and end. To recreate Jo’s exact layout, you’ll need seven photos.
3. Hide some journaling on a Papermania Bare Basics Tag & Pocket and stick underneath the first photo, tucking it so that you can see both ends poking out from behind. Make some tabs by palm punching kraft cardstock with an Xcut Large Circle Palm Punch. Distress with Artiste Acrylic Paint and a dry brush and tuck underneath the photos so that only a semicircle is visible. Mount a Festive Fauna alphabet thicker sticker on top of each to represent the months.
4. We love to have an accent colour when working with neutral backgrounds – gold works perfectly with this layout. Cut the Xcut ‘The World Is Yours’ Die from a gold metal sheet and tuck it slightly underneath the last photo, adhering with 3D clear dots.
5. Cut a decorative script title, using a combination of Create Christmas Gold Glitter Craft Tape and Xcut Xtras A5 Adhesive Cork Sheets with the script alpha dies in both upper and lower case. To do so, place a strip of craft tape on a cork sheet. Position letter dies over the glitter tape with the tops and bottoms overlapping the cork. Run through the Xcut Xpress on a setting of 5.
6. Remove the letters with tweezers and fix in place on the layout. Use the same technique for the words at the bottom, using the ‘Happy days’ and ‘Someone special’ mini dies.
7. Make embellishments by die cutting a heart and two arrows from woodgrain paper. Cover the arrows with Anita’s 3D Clear Gloss and draw an outline around the heart. Fix one arrow to the journaling tag and layer the rest on 1" circles punched from cork and glitter craft tape. Arrange these three embellishments in a visual triangle.
Project and how-to instructions by Jo Boland. Project originally published in the issue (78) of docrafts Creativity magazine.