Stitched Keepsake Card Tutorial
Posted by TheDocraftsTeam, 14 Sep, 2015
Create a special keepsake card with a heart stamp and some simple embroidery stitches. I've mounted the Papermania Folk Floral Heart Stamp on a clear acrylic stamp block, inked it thoroughly with a black Artiste Dye Ink Pad and stamped the image on pink cardstock. Wait until the ink has dried completely then start stitching using just three of the six strands of embroidery thread. This tutorial was originally published in docrafts Creativity Magazine Issue 60. Tutorial and card by Laura Howard.
1. Poke evenly spaced holes around the heart then frame the heart with a line of running stitches. Fill in the gaps with a second colour, stitching through the same holes.
2. Embellish the detail of the stamped design with running stitch and single stitches, following the lines and filling in the spaces to add different colours to the flowers, leaves and stems.
3. Add a second colour to some of the stitches, weaving the second colour thread through the earlier stitches.
4. Add a few French knots. Pass the needle and thread from the back then, holding the thread taut, wrap the thread around the needle a few times. Push the needle back through the card close to the original hole. TOP TIP Practice on some scrap cardstock first!
5. With the fold at the top, trim an 8 x 8" kraft card blank to 15cm wide. Mat spotted Folk Floral paper on the front, add fl oral paper at an angle and machine stitch around the edges.
6. Cut out a square with a circular sentiment from a 12 x 12" paper and mat on kraft cardstock. Machine stitch around the edges and the circle then ink and distress the edges.
7. Punch a decorative leafy lace border along a 16 x 4cm kraft card strip. Ink the edges and wrap purple spotted ribbon across the middle.
8. Trim the embroidered heart and glue to the circle panel. Glue the punched border at an angle towards the bottom of the card and top with a sentiment and bow. Attach the heart panel with 3D foam squares and fi nish with adhesive pearls.