Woven paper baskets
Posted by CamilaB, 14 Sep, 2017
Sit down, make yourself comfortable and welcome to your introduction to paper weaving! Store craft essentials or add a simple kraft handle onto the top to make it a portable basket! Why not match your room décor and dress them up a bit, painting the bottom half for an extra pop of colour? Artiste have so many shades to pick from. Go on… let’s give it a go
1. Transfer the base template onto a sheet of kraft cardstock and cut out. Trim 12 30.5 x 1cm strips of cardstock and glue in pairs, overlapping by 1cm. Use mini wooden pegs to secure the strips in place while the tacky glue dries.
2. Adhere the ﬁrst long paper strips to one of the basket base strips on the inside. It should be glued as close to the base as possible. Start weaving, alternating from inside to outside as you go around. Fold the corners.
3. Glue at the corners to keep the row in place. Cut the excess and tuck the end under the ﬁrst strip, holding in place with a peg while it dries. Complete all six rows, tightening as you weave.
4. Trim the ends of the vertical strips to size. Cut a 30.5 x 2cm strip and fold so that it’s 1cm wide. Apply glue generously inside the fold and ﬁx around the basket to seal the edges.
5. Use a paintbrush to apply a thick layer of PVA glue all around the outside of the basket to keep everything in place. Allow two hours to dry before continuing with the next step.
6. Stick a length of masking tape around the middle of the basket to achieve straight lines. Paint your favourite colour of Artiste Acrylic Paint at the bottom with a paintbrush or a sponge.
Project and how-to instructions by Camila Bertolini. Project originally published in issue (79) of docrafts Creativity magazine.